“A Taupo wood products factory will be shut down for up to five days after an explosion left the building in flames on Thursday.
About 60 firefighters from brigades around the North Island worked until 2am on Friday to bring the fire under control in the Laminex Group’s factory on Centennial Drive.”
- No employees were injured in the fire. (very lucky)
- Taupo Fire Brigade station officer Graeme Trainor said the fire went through the conveyer lines, hoppers and metal structures inside and outside the buildings.
- “The fire had spread right through the manufacturing process that turns the wood chip into product – going through the silos, sifters and conveyers that separate the wood chips to make the board.”
- Crews battled several fires inside four large hoppers between four and five storeys high at the property.
- Firefighters had to work in confined spaces, shutting down the conveyor belt system that transports wood shavings and wood products, using foam and water to bring the fire under control.
- Smith said the damage was confined to one part of the manufacturing process which would shut down for days.
This is why Explosion Isolation is so important in these factories.
Read more see the full video at: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/73989372/shut-down-after-fire-rips-through-taupo-factory